Here is a recipe for some delicious homemade apple sauce.
4-5 pounds of apples, cored and sliced (any variety or a mix of varieties)
Juice of one lemon
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 cup filtered water
- In a large pot, add the sliced and cored apples, coconut sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the apples are completely soft.
- Turn off the heat and let them sit for a while, stirring occasionally to break up the apples.
- Once it has cooled a bit, run the apples through a food mill into a large mixing bowl in several batches. This will remove the apple skins as well as mash up the apples into the “apple sauce” consistency.
- Pour the applesauce into glass jars or glass containers for storage in the fridge. You and your kids will love this for a tasty and nutritious dessert or snack.
- If you do not have a food mill- no need to worry! Just peel the apples before you slice and core them and then once cooked, mash them up with a potato masher, or run them through a food processor. OR, simply make it with the skins on and eat it with the skins on. Just make sure you use organic apples!